Monday, December 17, 2012

How to PrintScreen in Ubuntu(or Lubuntu)

In windows, it seems like PrintScreen is a basic, alongside the existence of dirt, rocks, and trees. But in Ubuntu (as far as I have experienced) is not so easy.

As my own Google search failed me, I will state the obvious to everyone else who didn't know like me.   There are 4 basic ways to do this

A) Gnome Screenshot Utility
B) The PrintScreen button
C) The shell (or terminal)
D) The GIMP

Gnome Screenshot

This one is pretty basic -- open your "start menu", go to accessories, then click "Take ScreenShot". That's it. From there you can play with the options.

PrintScreen Shortcut

This one isn't so simple, mostly because the functionality seems to be different than what one would normally guess. This is the one I wanted to use, as it is simple and I don't use Gnome. 

What I found was that PrintScreen works as expected, except that instead of copying to the clipboard the screen capture is saved to a .png file in your home directory ( /home/(your username) ). If you press Alt-PrintScreen, it should just capture the selected window at the time to that same place.

Shell

There seem to be quite a few options for this kind of thing, but the first and easiest I found was ImageMagick. Lots of places will give you a command like 

sleep 10; import -window root screenshot.png; gimp screenshot.png;

when you ask how to do this from terminal, but what they don't tell you is that most people probably don't have imagemagick installed already. For that you would need to 

sudo apt-get install imagemagick

to install. From there you can use that command which will (in order on the command) wait 10 seconds, capture from the "root window"(which is the whole screen), saves to screenshot.png, then opens up in gimp

If you run that command and get the "Import: command not found" issue, then you need to install/re-install imagemagick.

The GIMP

EDIT: This way of doing it is a way I found out much later, but now it is the only way I use.
Simply open up the GIMP (or if you don't have it under Graphics > GIMP Image Editor , simply run "sudo apt-get install gimp")


After GIMP loads, click File > Create > Screenshot. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.





1 comment:

EricW said...

Thank you, Thank you! I am running Lubuntu 12.4 on a PowerPC with a bluetooth Mac keyboard that lacks a print screen button. This post helped me find a way to screen capture. Thanks very,very much!!